MenuAgriculture Nature Animal welfare Support to the state Support to civil society Role of CSOs Advocacy Research CSO Grant & training Contact
GRANT I TRAINING - CONSUMERS IN THE HEART OF AGRICULTURAL POLICY
"Consumer`s Organization of Macedonia", The Republic of North Macedoniaa
Association for Development Initiatives "Zenit", Skopje and Association of Agro Journalists "Media Plus".
Project "Go Organic: Consumers at the Heart of the Agricultural Policy"was aimed at supporting the creation of an environment for organic production in North Macedonia that is in line with consumer interests.
The aim of the projectwas to empower civil society to develop evidence-based andEU models-based recommendations for improving the policy and legislative framework in the field of organic production as part of sustainable agriculture. The project represented the interests of consumers in the process of formulation and implementation of agricultural policies, and in this connection, it strengthened cooperation between civil society organizations, state institutions, farmers and the media in order to develop organic production and consumption. Additionally, the project contributed to increasing consumer awareness of health, social and environmental benefits from organic products.
1. Better legislative framework for organic production
- Policy study “Organic food: closer to consumers” have been created based on research conducted during the project. Aim of the study was to recommend measures to stimulate organic production in North Macedonia.The study contained an Action Plan which may serve as starting point in development of new strategic document of the Ministry of agriculture in area of organic production.
- A public endorsement from the Minister of Agriculture was received for implementation of Study recommendations as a result of advocacy campaign conducted during the project. On this occasion, the implementation of part of the measures was announced while other measures will be included in future documents of the Ministry related to this topic.
- Consumers’ Organization of Macedonia became member of the Organic Work Group of the Ministry. This allowed for more space for working to improve policies and legislation on organic agriculture.
2. More information accessible to consumers about benefits of organic agriculture and better availability of organic products
- “Organic road” mobile phone appwith interactive on-line map was created for the purpose of easier connection between organic producers and consumers. App contains search feature and can show a roadmap so the user could physically come to the chosen producer or the place of selling organic products.
- Cooperation and communication with organic producers in North Macedonia wasstrengthened through creation of mobile phone app, as well as cooperation between civil society organisations, media and producers on the topic of promotion production and consumption of organic products.
- A strategic positioning plan for organic products on the national food market with measures that can be implemented directly by the organic food producerswas developed and advocated. This plan was intended for organic producers as a guidelines for better positioning and it includes market research, industry trends at EU level, aims and new market strategy that includes specificity of organic agriculture.
The project was implemented by "Consumer`s Organization of Macedonia", with the support of partners and associates. The project was funded by the European Union within the regional project "Sustainable agriculture for sustainable Balkans: Strengthening advocacy capacities of CSOs and developing policies in the Western Balkans" implemented by the regional consortium of CSOs: IEP (Albania), FLOROZON (The Republic of North Macedonia), AKTIV (Kosovo *), CZIP (Montenegro), led by ORCA (Serbia).
Download the poster presentation of the project.
For more information, visit the web page of "Consumers’ Organization of Macedonia"
*This name is without prejudice to status and in line with United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 and the opinion of the International Court of Justice on the declaration of Kosovo's independence
See our successful stories!
INCENTIVE MEASURES IN AGRICULTURE
"Resurs Centar" Citizens' Association from Majdanpek, Serbia
Health and welfare of small ruminants
"Royal Albania Foundation"Association,Albania
Project Coordinator, Association of Farmers, Serbia
Association "Center for the Study, Use and Management of Natural Resources QSK NATYRA", Albania
DELFIN Eco Center, Montenegro
RENEWAL OF TRADITIONAL LANDSCAPE
Organization "EXPEDITIO Center for Sustainable Spatial Development", Montenegro
FROM THE FIELD TO THE TABLE
Association for Protection, Promotion and Education on Food "Slow Food Bitola", The Republic of North Macedonia
Agro-Ecological and Economic Management Center (AEEMC) Association