MenuAgriculture Nature Animal welfare Support to the state Support to civil society Role of CSOs Advocacy Research CSO Grant & training Contact
GRANT I TRAINING - FROM THE FIELD TO THE TABLE
Association for Protection, Promotion and Education on Food "Slow Food Bitola", The Republic of North Macedonia
Association "Slow Food Vodno" and citizens’ association "EKO ROSALES".
The aim of the project "From field to the table - channeling farmers’ problems through position papers and other written forms" is to improve the sustainability of the production of small agricultural producers in the region of Mavrovo - Rostuse and the southeastern region of North Macedonia using traditional methods of production, through recognizing their needs and problems and their consideration with decision-makers at the national level.
1. Higher flexibility of the food safety requirements for small-scale agricultural producers
- Book of rules was created, proposing flexibility measures for traditional cheese production in North Macedonia. It was developed based on research and with participation of cheese producers and experts.
- Working group for introducing flexibility measures for small-scale and traditional producers into the legislation was established by the Food and Veterinary Agency as a result of the project’s advocacy efforts with Slow Food Bitola as members.
2. Better recognition of the products with geographic indication in south-east region of the country as a potential for rural development.
- Research of the state of production of food with geographic indication and national quality schemes related to food safety was conducted during the project. The research involved a large number of producers through personal visits as participation at roundtables.
- A group of 16 producers involved in project activities decided to self organizeas advocacy group to represent interests of small-scale and traditional farmers at the national leveland better present riches of their region.
3. Better understanding of consumers that by choosing which products to buy, they can influence better food quality and safety
- Descriptive reports about traditional agricultural production from various regions of North Macedonia created and distributed on-line.
- Two public campaigns were launched aiming to promotetraditional cheese production in North Macedonia as well as to promoting buying locally. The campaigns went viral and had a great response from consumers with over 120.000 views only for campaign video clips;
- One-day conference was held for more than 40 participants, aiming to gather support to traditional agricultural production A part of the conference was dedicated to quality schemes related to food safety, while other part was dedicated to implementing a package of flexibility measures in national legislation as a key requirement for conserving production of traditional cheeses.
The project was implemented by the organisation "Slow Food Bitola”, with the support of partners and associates. The project wasfundedby the European Union within the regional project "Sustainable agriculture for sustainable Balkans: Strengthening advocacy capacities of CSOs and developing policies in the Western Balkans" implemented by the regional consortium of CSOs: IEP (Albania), FLOROZON (The Republic of North Macedonia) AKTIV (Kosovo *), CZIP (Montenegro), led by ORCA (Serbia).
Download the poster presentation of the project.
For more information, visit the web page of "Slow Food Bitola".
*This name is without prejudice to status and in line with United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 and the opinion of the International Court of Justice on the declaration of Kosovo's independence
See our successful stories!
INCENTIVE MEASURES IN AGRICULTURE
"Resurs Centar" Citizens' Association from Majdanpek, Serbia
Health and welfare of small ruminants
"Royal Albania Foundation"Association,Albania
Project Coordinator, Association of Farmers, Serbia
Association "Center for the Study, Use and Management of Natural Resources QSK NATYRA", Albania
DELFIN Eco Center, Montenegro
RENEWAL OF TRADITIONAL LANDSCAPE
Organization "EXPEDITIO Center for Sustainable Spatial Development", Montenegro
CONSUMERS IN THE HEART OF AGRICULTURE
"Consumers' Organization of Macedonia", The Republic of North Macedonia
Agro-Ecological and Economic Management Center (AEEMC) Association