MenuAgriculture Nature Animal welfare Support to the state Support to civil society Role of CSOs Advocacy Research CSO Grant & training Contact
GRANT & TRAINING - HEALTH AND WELFARE OF SMALL RUMINANTS
"Royal Albania Foundation" Association, Albania
Doctor Veterinary in Community (DVC), Agriculture and Livestock Forum (ALF), Women’s Rights (WR)
Project "Advocacy on small ruminants animal health, production and welfare in rural areas of Gjirokaster region in southern Albania"was implemented by association "Royal Albania Foundation" from Albania, with the support of its partners.
The aim of the project was to diversify the system and increase food production in order to achieve food security in the Gjirokaster region through thestrengthened and sustainable keeping of small ruminants (goats and sheep) and improved policy framework in this area. Project focused on the need to control and eradicate three diseases of small ruminants (Brucellosis, Anthrax and Agalactiae disease) which are common in southern Albania and threaten not only animal health, but human health too.
1. Better protection of animal and human health through vaccination of small ruminants against diseases that are common to both animals and humans
- Four animal health and welfare strategies were created for four municipalitiesof theGjirokaster region in southern Albania. The strategies were created based on research and consultations with key actors. Goal of the Strategies was to determine measures for control and eradication of three diseases of small ruminantscommon to both animals and humans (Brucellosis, Anthrax and Agalactiae disease).
- Coalition of key actors was established to advocate for measures contained in the Strategies. Members of the Coalition, including civil society organisations, private veterinarians, agricultural producers, milk processors and other actors, have signed a Memorandum of understanding and made a commitment to advocate for measures contained in the Strategies to decision-makers.
- All sheep in the Gjirokaster region were vaccinated against Brucellosis as a result of the advocacy campaign and the work of the coalition during 2018. Plans were created to vaccinate small ruminants against anthrax in hotspot areas.
2. Strengthening capacities of agricultural producers, civil society organisations and including media in the campaign for better health protection for animals and people in Albania
- Trainings for members of the Coalition and journalists about advocacy, lobbying and protection of health and welfare of small ruminants were organised with an aim to achieve better success of the advocacy campaign. Journalists that participated in the trainings have continued to publish information on importance of vaccinating animals against diseases common to both animals and humans.
- Trainings for farmers about protection of health and welfare of small ruminants were organised with special focus on women and young farmers. These trainings contributed to informing farmers on importance of vaccination as a measure to prevent diseases common to both animals and humans.
- Trainings for representatives of Regional agricultural directorates and local municipalities about developinganimal health and welfare strategies, importance of proposed measures and ways of their implementation. For many participants (especially veterinarians) this was a first time to participate at trainings on this subject.
The project was implemented by the organisation "Royal Albania Foundation”, with the support of partners and associates. The project wasfundedby the European Union within the regional project "Sustainable agriculture for sustainable Balkans: Strengthening advocacy capacities of CSOs and developing policies in the Western Balkans" implemented by the regional consortium of CSOs: IEP (Albania), FLOROZON (the Republic of North Macedonia), AKTIV (Kosovo *), CZIP (Montenegro), led by ORCA (Serbia).
Download the poster presentation of the project.
For more information, visit the official web page page of the Royal Albania Foundation.
*This name is without prejudice to status and in line with United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 and the opinion of the International Court of Justice on the declaration of Kosovo's independence
See our successful stories!
INCENTIVE MEASURES IN AGRICULTURE
"Resurs Centar" Citizens' Association from Majdanpek, Serbia
Project Coordinator, Association of Farmers, Serbia
Association "Center for the Study, Use and Management of Natural Resources QSK NATYRA", Albania
DELFIN Eco Center, Montenegro
RENEWAL OF TRADITIONAL LANDSCAPE
Organization "EXPEDITIO Center for Sustainable Spatial Development", Montenegro
CONSUMERS IN THE HEART OF AGRICULTURE
"Consumers' Organization of Macedonia", The Republic of North Macedonia
FROM THE FIELD TO THE TABLE
Association for Protection, Promotion and Education on Food "Slow Food Bitola", The Republic of North Macedonia
Agro-Ecological and Economic Management Center (AEEMC) Association