MenuAgriculture Nature Animal welfare Support to the state Support to civil society Role of CSOs Advocacy Research CSO Grant & training Contact
GRANT I TRAINING - DECENTRALIZED, PARTICIPATIVE AND INTEGRATED WATER POLICY
Agro-Ecological and Economic Management Center (AEEMC) Association
Water Use Organization, Naun Panxhi, Cerrik, Water Use Organization Peqin- Kavaje, Kavaje, Water Use Organization, Cukes, Lushnje
The aim of the project "Advocating to a more decentralized, participatory and integrated forms of water policy"was to support the shift from a state-controlled water policy to a decentralized, participative and integrated water policy in Albania that will stimulate the involvement of all stakeholders in this area to better meet local economic and social needs and protect the environment.
1.New decentralized water and irrigation policy in Albania that includes water users
- The irrigation management Programme was createdbased on researchon effects of past irrigation policies.The new programme emphasizes cooperation between local authorities and water user organisations, i.e. farmers and their associations;
- The Programme was created in a participatory manner, including all stakeholders (municipal authorities, representatives of relevant departments at the Ministry of agriculture and rural development, agricultural producers, water user organisations and irrigation experts);
- An advocacy campaign was conducted for improving the Draft Law on irrigation in order to ensure involvement of water user organisations in irrigation management;
- New Law on irrigation and Draft National strategy on irrigation have included water user organisations as representatives of farmer’s interest who share part of the responsibility in irrigation management. This was a result of the project’s advocacy campaign.
2. Strengthened capacities of water user organisations for advocacy of decentralizedwater and irrigation policy that includes water user organisations into the system of irrigation management
- - A coalition of water user organisations and AEEMC organisation was formed in order to implement an advocacy campaign for decentralized water and irrigation policy and inclusionwater user organisations into the new Law on irrigation and Draft National strategy on irrigation;
- - Trainings on good irrigation management were conducted for water user organisations, farmers and municipal competent institutions for water and irrigation management.
- - Training on advocacy wasconductedfor water user organisations, farmers, their associations and AEEMC volunteers in order to make project advocacy activities and the implementation of the campaign as successful as possible.
- - A guidelines on irrigation management in agriculture was createdwith an aim to emphasize the need for sustainable practices through inclusion of local communities, i.e. water user organisations into the irrigation management at local level.
The project was implemented by the organisation "AEEMC", with the support of partners and associates. The project was funded by the European Union within the regional project "Sustainable agriculture for sustainable Balkans: Strengthening advocacy capacities of CSOs and developing policies in the Western Balkans" implemented by the regional consortium of CSOs: IEP (Albania), FLOROZON (The Republic of North Macedonia), AKTIV (Kosovo *), CZIP (Montenegro), led by ORCA (Serbia).
Download the poster presentation of the project.
For more information, visit the AEEMC web page.
*This name is without prejudice to status and in line with United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 and the opinion of the International Court of Justice on the declaration of Kosovo's independence
See our successful stories!
INCENTIVE MEASURES IN AGRICULTURE
"Resurs Centar" Citizens' Association from Majdanpek, Serbia
Health and welfare of small ruminants
"Royal Albania Foundation"Association,Albania
Project Coordinator, Association of Farmers, Serbia
Association "Center for the Study, Use and Management of Natural Resources QSK NATYRA", Albania
DELFIN Eco Center, Montenegro
RENEWAL OF TRADITIONAL LANDSCAPE
Organization "EXPEDITIO Center for Sustainable Spatial Development", Montenegro
CONSUMERS IN THE HEART OF AGRICULTURE
"Consumers' Organization of Macedonia", The Republic of North Macedonia
FROM THE FIELD TO THE TABLE
Association for Protection, Promotion and Education on Food "Slow Food Bitola", The Republic of North Macedonia